Thursday, July 17, 2008

You don't have to look homeless, even if you're on a budget.

We're poor.

Let me rephrase that. We're
STINKIN' POOR. And can I say it? Finding ways to save a bunch of money is *almost* fun?

Taylor decided to go through a growth spurt. He was in need of shorts for summer in a major way. I figured, being on a budget, that we'd make our way over to the DI.

Can I just say that thrift stores are (mostly) full of CRAP? I mean, every once in awhile I find a deal on something NEW there, but when a THRIFT STORE is asking $4 for a pair of ugly, tattered, did I say ugly? shorts for a growing 9 year old boy, I think that's pretty much bogus.

So with school time fast approaching, it'll be time for back to school shopping. And for me, that means INTERNET shopping. Heck, I'm no fool. I'm not taking my 4 kids out shopping for school clothes
thankyouverymuch.

Lo and behold, Children's Place was having a sale. A picked over sale, but a sale nonetheless. And, for spending $4.25 on a NEW shirt, vs an old, icky, ugly tee-shirt with holes at the back for *almost* the same price at some gosh awful thrift store shirt, I think we did well.

$38.98 SHIPPED. That's 8 items, including a pair of "cute" penny loafers for Jordan, making each BRAND NEW ITEM only $4.87 averaged out. I think $4.87 is a good price to pay for something that's never been worn, never washed by someone else (nor peed on by some animal, vomited on, pooped on, etc...) and I'm EXCITED.

See? Being poor has it's "perks". You get to be patient, wait for sales, and make a KILLING on stuff that won't make your kids look and feel like they just walked out of the orphanage. They can do that later to themselves in their NEW clothes by playing "dirty".



See what I mean?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Do you want me to ship you my stuff- it would be free for you, but you got a GREAT deal. DS9 is just getting out of size 8. I als have a lot of new girly size 7/8 stuff.DD 7 'doesn't like it'
Totally understand P-O-O-R.

Lena said...

I totally know what you mean! GoodWill stuff is so overpriced but once a month they have a 50% of everything and you can get some good deals. The question is am I willing to spend that time digging through hords of ugly things? Not usually. I just find deals like you said. I could care less what the label says as long as it's cute!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Did you check out Old Navy this week? The Jordan Landing one had 50% off of clearance. I got 27 items for $75 yesterday.